28 April 2012

101 kms of Ponferrada (León)

Date: April 28, 2012
Time: 10:00
Distance: 101 kms 

One more year, GARVÍA BIKE – CENTRO TIR travelled to Ponferrada (León) to ride hard in the III Edition of its 101 kms race.
If the last year we finish in the first place, the aim for the 2012 edition was clear: Win and reduce the last year time.
However, it was going to be very difficult because almost everybody wanted to win us.

The last week and the last night rain awarded us with muddy paths. It was perfect to have a harder track.

The track can be simply described with two words: Pure MTB.
Mountains and more mountains to climb and go down from the beginning till the end. It was going to be very hard, even for the most trained and skilled bikers.
In the starting line, I could notice how we were more and high leveled bikers than the previous year. It was going be an interesting race.
The race started very fast, it seemed we were going to race 20 kms and not 101 kms.

After 8 kms, I rode together with other 2 bikers. The mud was terrible in several up hills and we should climb on foot.
After a few kilometers more, only 2 bikers rode alone in the head of the race.
In the mid race I needed to reduce my pace to recover some energy, however the other biker increased its own pace to get some advantage. His pace was higher than mine and I was not able to follow him. However, it remained a lot of kilometers to reduce the distance.
Unfortunately, I lost myself several times among the mountains and I lost a lot of time trying to find the right paths.

Now, the head of the race was quite far away and the race was finishing.
At the end, I could finish in the 2nd place and very happy for my good race.
Special thanks to volunteers, supporters, Nardi Crespo, David Pacios Martínez and Alberto for being so kind.
Of course, I have to thank the encouragements of my parents during the entire race.
Finally, it was not fair to forget all my sponsors that make possible this dream.

I have only one feeling during the race, I was not riding along. All of you were riding with me and this success is yours, too.

Thank you very much for your support.

 
GARVÍA BIKE ©